St Helena Local Forum
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
bcross

Reply with quote  #1 

Please could anyone help me to find some lost close Thomas family from St Helena who could possibly be living in the UK?

I am not sure if I have the naming correct as I have never been to the Island this info I have gathered from research.

Back in 2014 I sent a request the local newspaper asking if any one knew a Thelma Iona Thomas.

I got one reply, so I think the family came from Longwood or deadwood area.

Her Mothers (Thelma’s mums) name I believe was Georgina (nickname Peggy)

Thelma I believe had a brother name Brian and sister name Lorna (nick name Susie)

Susie had three children, Cyril, Arnold, and Dellie.

I also believe there was another Aunt Vicky or Aunt Rennie who had a son call Graham and Debbie.

Thelma I believed moved to the UK an worked in domestic service, does anyone know of her whereabouts or relatives she may have. (These would also be my relatives)

I know this all seem confusing but I would like to trace Thelma Iona Thomas or any sons or daughters or close family.

Thank you for taking the time to reply via this forum I would appreciate any help as I have no idea where to start.

Serena Peters-Latham

Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcross

Please could anyone help me to find some lost close Thomas family from St Helena who could possibly be living in the UK?

I am not sure if I have the naming correct as I have never been to the Island this info I have gathered from research.

Back in 2014 I sent a request the local newspaper asking if any one knew a Thelma Iona Thomas.

I got one reply, so I think the family came from Longwood or deadwood area.

Her Mothers (Thelma’s mums) name I believe was Georgina (nickname Peggy)

Thelma I believe had a brother name Brian and sister name Lorna (nick name Susie)

Susie had three children, Cyril, Arnold, and Dellie.

I also believe there was another Aunt Vicky or Aunt Rennie who had a son call Graham and Debbie.

Thelma I believed moved to the UK an worked in domestic service, does anyone know of her whereabouts or relatives she may have. (These would also be my relatives)

I know this all seem confusing but I would like to trace Thelma Iona Thomas or any sons or daughters or close family.

Thank you for taking the time to reply via this forum I would appreciate any help as I have no idea where to start.

Serena Peters-Latham

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi I'm from the Thomas family Aunt Lorna (susie) and her son Cyril has passed away . Delia is on Ascension Island
croft

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi, I'm from the Thomas family Uk. I had an great uncle Cyril b 1935. There are lots of Thomas's on the island. Best research material is from university of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg. Free online,records from the island from 1600 to 1940's. http://www.historicalpapers.wits.ac.za/?inventory. Any problems with the link try my email. crosa412@aol.com and I'll forward the link again. Good Luck Sara.x
tlaume

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi,

My name is Timothy and I am from Tonga. Our ancestor was a John Thomas from St. Helena who came to the Pacific working as a carpenter in one of the German company in Samoa in the 1860s and moved to Tonga around 1867 when the same German company build the king's palace in Tonga. He came with a Samoan wife and had 4 sons in Tonga and we are having a reunion from 30th June - 3rd July this year.

Please if anyone had any info on this John Thomas because we had none of his memoirs as it was burn early in the 1900s. Some of his grandchildren tell us that he did mention he had a sister name Jane and one of his grandchildren talked about remembering seeing his military uniform in his house in the later years of his life.

If anyone knew of this John Thomas or John P. Thomas from St. Helena then please let me know as I am trying to collect our family history.

Thank you very much from the Island Kingdom of Tonga in the South Pacific Ocean.

Timothy
Andrewmurphy93

Reply with quote  #6 
If your still looking for the Thomas's family Cyril was my grandad. His 3 daughters And 1 son lives in Luton . England
KAS

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlaume
Hi,

My name is Timothy and I am from Tonga. Our ancestor was a John Thomas from St. Helena who came to the Pacific working as a carpenter in one of the German company in Samoa in the 1860s and moved to Tonga around 1867 when the same German company build the king's palace in Tonga. He came with a Samoan wife and had 4 sons in Tonga and we are having a reunion from 30th June - 3rd July this year.

Please if anyone had any info on this John Thomas because we had none of his memoirs as it was burn early in the 1900s. Some of his grandchildren tell us that he did mention he had a sister name Jane and one of his grandchildren talked about remembering seeing his military uniform in his house in the later years of his life.

If anyone knew of this John Thomas or John P. Thomas from St. Helena then please let me know as I am trying to collect our family history.

Thank you very much from the Island Kingdom of Tonga in the South Pacific Ocean.

Timothy
KAS

Reply with quote  #8 
Hi Timothy,  I just recently saw your post about John Thomas in Tonga and from St Helena.  I think this person is who I am also looking to find more about.  I would love to get in touch and find out and exchange information.  
Hope to hear back from you.
Regards
Kirsty Stephens
Taufa Havili Kaufusi

Reply with quote  #9 
Hi Kirsty Stephens,

I am a relative of Timothy and we are descendants of John Thomas of St Helena. My name is Eveline Kaufusi. I have found a record from the United Kingdom Merchant Seaman records stating that John Thomas was registered as a seaman during 1845-1854. His three children to his Samoan wife were born after these years. I am just assuming this is the John Thomas we were looking for as we have recently found that his son Eugene was registered in the British army and mentioned his father was from St Helena. John Thomas came to Tonga while working for a German company. He bought his Samoan wife along with him. We helped build the Palace here in Tonga as well as other buildings. I would love to exchange information to verify his identity. His children's name were Charles, William Henry and Eugene.
KAS

Reply with quote  #10 
Hi Eveline
Thanks so much for your reply.  It is just fascinating, although were not 100% sure what this connection is or exactly where it all ties in.  My husband and his father both have a very high dna match to people in your family who have also taken the test.  There is definitely a connection.  Do you know what the Samoan wifes name was?  And were all of their children born after their arrival in Tonga?  Timothy mentioned 4 sons in his message.  I ask because the names are interesting as my husbands great grandfather on St Helena born about 1875 was a John William Thomas.  He had a brother Charles Thomas and our John named his son Charles Henry Thomas.  So the names are recurring - except for Eugene, which could have been a name from his Samoan  wifes father?   I am having contact on ancestry with someone helping another of your family members who took a dna test  Are you able to access ancestry.com at all?  That way you could view my tree, or I could try emailing it to you if I can have an address.    I will keep looking into it.   I am still looking at army docs too, problem is that Thomas is such a common name,  but I did come across some interesting things that I could also email you.   Let me know and thanks again.    Regards,  Kirsty
Taufa Havili Kaufusi

Reply with quote  #11 
Hi Kirsty,

Yes my uncle Timothy mentioned 4 sons. The oldest son Muliaumalu was full Samoan. John Thomas's eldest son with his Samoan wife Kalolaine Pili'ae was Charles Thomas. Eugene was none as Niusini until we found documents of his name being spelled as Eugene. If you could e-mail your information that would be great and we could keep in contact on updated information. We had supposed he came from Malta, Wales until i recently found documentation that Eugene was a registered in the British army here in Tonga and his father's nationality was written as being from St Helena. My email address is etukuafu@yahoo.com. Would love to hear more from you.

Regards, Eveline
KAS

Reply with quote  #12 
Hi again Eveline,

I just sent a tree invite and an email to the email address you gave, but its been returned.  
Would you mind checking the address and getting back to me.
Many thanks

Kirsty   [smile]
Taufa Havili Kaufusi

Reply with quote  #13 
Hi Kristy,

could you please resend it again to etukuafu@yahoo.com
or
thkaufusi@gmail.com
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: