St Helena Local Forum
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
thaibaz

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all, I'm just enquiring about a George Kallend b.1862 in Smithfield - Middlesex - England, he was based on St. Helena as a Corporal in the Royal Artillery until his discharge on the Island in 1894. He married a Maria Elizabeth Jones on the 10th June 1890 at St. James' Church - Jamestown - St Helena, I believe that she was born on the Island, and that they possibly settled there after his discharge.
Could anyone help me to find Maria's date of birth, if they had any children, also George & Maria's deaths and places of burial, if indeed they did live on the Island.
Thank you for any help, if anyone finds any details.
Yours, Barry Tierney.
chrisheila

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Barry
I manage the St Helena People Database, with over 90,000 records. I have searched for the Kallend family and have the following information for you:

George Kallend was 28 and a bachelor, a Corporal in the Royal Artillery, based at Munden’s Point, when he married Maria Elizabeth Jones, aged 21, spinster, of Rupert’s Valley. As you say they were married on 10 Jun 1890 at St James’ Church in Jamestown.
Maria Elizabeth Jones was born on 27 Jul 1868. Her father was Thomas Jones, Labourer, of Jamestown. Her mother was Rosina Jones. She was baptised by the St James Recort, George Bennett, on 6 Sep 1868. The witnesses or sponsors were Ann Magson, Sam. Magson and Elizh. Smith.
George Kallend of Jamestown, aged 38, was buried on 14 Sep 1900 at St Paul’s Cathedral on the Island. The burial was conducted by John, the Bishop of St Helena at that time.
George and Maria Kallend had five children:
• George Edward, born 19 Nov 1890, bpt. 10 Feb 1891, at St John’s, Jamestown.
• Thomas William, born 9 Jan 1893, bpt. 5 Mar 1893, also at St John’s.
• Robert King, born 1 Nov 1894, bpt. 2 Dec 1894, also at St John’s.
• James Peter Alexander, born 1 Aug 1896, bpt. 13 Sep 1896, also at St John’s.
• Henry John, born 20 Aug 1898, bpt. 2 Oct 1898, also at St John’s.
Rev. J.C. Hands conducted all but the first of the baptisms. He was military chapl;ain on Island.
George is recorded as of the Royal Artillery for the first two baptisms, but as Policeman for the last three.
There is a burial record for Robert King Kallend, aged 15 months, also of Jamestown, buried on 17 Feb 1896, also at St Paul’s.
There is no record of a burial for Maria Elizabeth Kallend. Nor is there a record for her remarriage after George’s death.
There are no records for the marriages of any of the Kallend boys. This all suggests that the family left the Island after George’s death in 1900.
Hope this information is useful, and if you want Jones family information further back let me know?
Best wishes - Chris Hillman (hillman.jesse@gmail.com)

chrisheila

Reply with quote  #3 

Hi Barry - further to the info sent this morning, George and Maria Elizabeth Kelland (note different spelling) also had a daughter:
• Ellen Rose, born 23 Oct 1900, bpt. 25 Dec 1903, also at St John’s. She was born just over a month after her father was buried, but baptised three years later. 
Best wishes - Chris
chrisheila

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi Barry
Further research brings up another child:
  • Thomas William, born 7 Jan 1893, bpt. 5 Mar 1893, son of George Callend, Cpl. RA, and his wife Mona Elizabeth Callend, at St James', by the Rev J.C. Hands, the military chaplain at the time. 
I shall keep on looking! Best wishes - Chris
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: