St Helena Local Forum
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Brychan Anwyl

Reply with quote  #1 

I am looking in to history of county tractors made here in UK

Does anyone know or have any information on county tractors that were shipped an used out on St Helena

ZD7VC

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi,

I am a bit of a industrial & farm machinery enthusiast, in addition to maritime photography, living on St. Helena Island and over the years have been taking photos of all of the Ford County tractors (& others of course) that were imported to the island in the 1970's/80's and most of the are the 6610.

Regards
Bruce
ZD7VC

Reply with quote  #3 
A far as I can tell there are seven Ford Country Tractors in private ownership and two are owned by the St. Helena Government.  Both of the Government tractors are used in the forestry sector, a Ford County 6610 is fitted with a PTO driven winch for retrieving logs but nowadays is mostly used to tow a trailer with saw timber while another strange looking tractor fitted with stabilisers, a dozing blade, a rear mounted winch is used exclusively for forestry work - there are no frills on this one and I think that it's also a Ford County of some sort but there is no manufacturers plate that I can see.

I don't know whether it's possible to post photos but if not I can e mail them to you for further idenitification.

Bruce
Brychan Anwyl

Reply with quote  #4 
Thank you for the information on the County tractors.

Here's my email if you would like to send me some photos.
        brych1@hotmail.com
ZD7VC

Reply with quote  #5 
Ok thanks for the e mail address.
I was just thinking that there must be close to 20 tractors on the island of all makes, recently there has been a few imports of small Kubota tractors and one Chinese manufactured tractor.
The Ford County tractors are by far the most respected on the island and parts must still be available.
Two of them were refurbished recently.

Bruce
Brychan Anwyl

Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks

Brychan
shbd

Reply with quote  #7 
I did nt know that many tractors were on St Helena Brychan what age tractors were you referring to I remember one of the earlier ones on the Island that was driven by a local guy (from longwood gate nicknamed Doctor curry) it will be interesting to know if this one was still operational bruce might rememeber this was one of the biggest in the 80s. also i think there was a fergesson and Red Mick (local name) all owned by ADA. you might even find some local farmers here also
Brychan Anwyl

Reply with quote  #8 
I was wondering what County tractors are still there with an age range from about 1960 to yr 2000
ZD7VC

Reply with quote  #9 
Hi shbd,

Yes I remember the Tractor referred to as the "Red Mick", I must ask a living driver why it was called that, he's in his eighties now, he might remember!  It ended it's life round at Farm Buildings with the Kakuu garss growing through it.

I can't recall the Fergusson or even Doctor Curry but will ask around and see who knows.

Bruce
Brychan Anwyl

Reply with quote  #10 
Would it be possible to have more photos and information please.
Brychan Anwyl

Reply with quote  #11 
Looking for the history of County tractors in St Helena.

Attached Images
jpeg image.jpeg (2.36 MB, 3 views)

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.