St Helena Local Forum
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
wardheed

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi there, 

Do many people cycle on the island? What is it like on the island for cycling.

Just wonder if the roads are good enough for road cycling and if there are decent off road tracks?

Can you hire bikes from shops on the island and are there any cycle clubs/groups? 

I heard about the cycle festival the other year, but I heard it did not go ahead which is shame.

Thanks!
wardheed

Reply with quote  #2 
[smile]
ZD7VC

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi Wardheed,

Cycling is ok all of the roads are built on the outer edges of the steep ridges which is the entire makeup of the island.  All homes are built into sides of the ridges or on top of the ridges and a few at the base of the ridges.  Roads connect the Ridges so it's a very much up and down affair, heavy on braking too.  Some roads cycling is banned, to what end no-one seems to know!  Plenty of off road tracks on this volcanic island too.
Bike hire, no there isn't any so you'll have to bring your own, bring some spares with you too as there isn't much available in the way of spares, a brake bleeding kit (I need to acquire one too!).
No clubs - everyone does their own thing.

Cheers
Bruce (ZD7VC)
Johnny Clingham

Reply with quote  #4 
I think you would have to ship your bike here. I am not sure if you can bring one in on the flight at all, you will have to check. 
I am not sure if you can bring one in on the flight at all. You would have to check with SA Airlink.
You can ship from Capetown or the UK, it won't cost that much at all, honestly, you could sell it on Island after you leave.
If you want I can supply you with shipping agent details and advice on how it all works, it's a simple process.

wardheed

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi Johnny / Bruce, 

Thanks for the response. Much appreciated and very helpful.

cheers

Jarred
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.