St Helena Local Forum
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Jillian Solomon

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi everyone
I'm looking for links to the Clinghams who came from St Helena. My grandparents emigrated to Zimbabwe, then rhodesia, in the 1920s where my mother Adelaide Virginia was born.Grandfather was Edward Clingham.
I am hoping to visit the island next year with my brother and would like to explore any links to family who may still be around,. We are based in the UK and grew up on wonderful stories about how beautiful the island is and how friendly the people are.
Best wishes to all you Saints and looking forward to making the trip.
Jill
JC1520

Administrator
Reply with quote  #2 
Jill.
I am a clingham but i have no idea about the family tree.
The name clingham is not as popular as say a Thomas or Henry on the Island.
There are a few Clingham families but i dont beleive they are related.
I run and own this website to offer people like your self a connection to Island via online media.
I am going to share this to the following we have accross are social connections and see how we get on.
Good luck get in touch let me know if i can help further.

Daniel Haywood-Stone

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi I don't know If this helps at all. My grandmother is Maureen Clingham and she is from saint Helena. Hope this helps in any way
vilma clingham-toms

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi Jilliam,
My mother was a Clingham and I believe all the Clinghams on St. Helena and South Africa are related. 
My Grandfather Alexander Clingham had a brother Edward Clingham who emigrated to South Africa.
I have started researching the family tree and found the name comes from County Down, Northern Ireland.
I live in the UK.
Jillian Solomon

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC1520
Jill.
I am a clingham but i have no idea about the family tree.
The name clingham is not as popular as say a Thomas or Henry on the Island.
There are a few Clingham families but i dont beleive they are related.
I run and own this website to offer people like your self a connection to Island via online media.
I am going to share this to the following we have accross are social connections and see how we get on.
Good luck get in touch let me know if i can help further.

Jillian Solomon

Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks so much for your contact. I have received a very promising reply and will be exploring this further. I watched your interview with the CEO of Atlantic star - good work, St Helena is really on the map now! Thanks again for your help.
Best wishes,
Jill
Jillian Solomon

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Haywood-Stone
Hi I don't know If this helps at all. My grandmother is Maureen Clingham and she is from saint Helena. Hope this helps in any way
Jillian Solomon

Reply with quote  #8 
Hi Daniel
I haven't heard of a Maureen in the family, but Edward had a very large brood - 12 or 14, I believe. My mother Adelaide was known as Cissie in the family and was the eldest girl. I don't know all the names but some of these are boys - Robert, Bill, Eddie and Sonny, girls - Una,tilla and Tossie.
I did find an old diary which appears to detail births, deaths an marriages. The name Maureen Clinghams is written on the date 28 January but unfortunately the year is not clear. I wonder if this might be your grandmother's birth date and if she might recognise any of the above names.
Best wishes
Jill
Jillian Solomon

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilma clingham-toms
Hi Jilliam,
My mother was a Clingham and I believe all the Clinghams on St. Helena and South Africa are related. 
My Grandfather Alexander Clingham had a brother Edward Clingham who emigrated to South Africa.
I have started researching the family tree and found the name comes from County Down, Northern Ireland.
I live in the UK.
Jillian Solomon

Reply with quote  #10 
Hi Vilma
This is exciting information! It was said in the family that there was a man from northern Ireland in the mix. My mum said the young people from the island would leave and go to Rhodesia for work,travelling through South Africa to get there.
It does seem likely that your grandfather and mine could well be brothers.
We emigrated to the UK in 1956 and, sadly, I know very little about my grandparents and would love to get anything about Edward's parentage I can. I do have one photo of Edward and if you would like a copy please let me know.
I see you are in the UK - I live on the Kent coast. Is this a anywhere near you?
Best wishes,
Jill

Billy clingham

Reply with quote  #11 
I'm Billy clingham my dad was Billy clingham. And his dad was Billy clingham. My son also is Billy clingham i'm in the UK
Billy clingham

Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy clingham
I'm Billy clingham my dad was Billy clingham. And his dad was Billy clingham. I'm in the UK

Attached Images
jpeg _20160810_194704.JPG (11.66 KB, 8 views)

Billy clingham

Reply with quote  #13 
An old photo of my grandfather Billy clingham
Jillian Solomon

Reply with quote  #14 
Hi Billy, thanks for sending photo if your grandfather. Was he also born in the UK or is he a native saint?
davidclingham

Reply with quote  #15 
Hi Jillian

My grandfather's name was Roland, I believe he was one of 6 children, one of his brothers was Fred and they lived in Rhodesia. I believe Tilla lives in Mutare (Zimbabwe) and her daughter is in the UK. I hope you got around to visiting the island and finding out about our mutual ancestor.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.